Thursday, March 12, 2009

Comedy quotations from the Edwin Stephen Griffiths Lecture


Held at the South Wales Baptist College on 11 March 2009.

A deacon questioned if the woman minister would be physically able to baptise a man. The response:
“Good gosh man – have you seen her hands?!”

If baptism is like birth...
“Should we add a new bit to the end and give them a slap?”

Baptism without coming into fellowship is like saying:
“I want to be married, but not actually to anybody”

From the speaker to a tutor, repeatedly:
“I wish you’d behave!”

One person’s relationship with chocolate is:
“...outright adoration, within the bounds of idolatry”

“Your mission should you choose to accept it is to save the entire church. Good luck.”

From one tutor, to a superior:
“I’m just glad you realised that if you were perfect, that isn’t you!”

“I found myself struck down in Asda whilst pushing a trolley with appendicitis”.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Back in the 1970's during his lecture, Dr. Henton Davies said that he and his wife make a covenant that if he was preaching on a Sunday they would not make love on Saturday night.

One student turned to Barry Morgan (OT lecturer at St Michael's) and said, "I'm getting married on a Saturday." to which Barry replied, "It's OK for you Baptists, but I've got to say Daily Office."